01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park

34


Recently I've steered away from talking books and throwing recommendations and reviews at you by sharing aspects of my life of what I've been up to and what's important to me. It just ends in one big ramble I know, but I've actually been enjoying it instead of uploading a tonne of book review. I will be however be posting my reviews of three books I read in April/May as I've been a bit slack due to my exams looming over me but they will be on here soon I promise!

Anyhow onto the good stuff that I'm itching to talk about with you...

On Saturday (24.05.14) I traveled up to London with my friend Jodie to see one of my favourite bands Arctic Monkeys as well as their support bands (as shown below on the poster), I may or may not have mentioned before but I'm a big music fan and enjoy going to as many gigs as I can fund myself for!


It was a fantastic afternoon/evening. I had previously seen Arctic Monkeys back on their 2011 tour with their album 'Suck It And See', I had been a fan of them since their first album 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' with my favourite song being 'Mardy Bum' due to my brother introducing their music to me. I remember asking him "what's this song called?" and he replied "Lardy Bum" an inside joke between us, obviously I found it wasn't titled that but that's how I remember my first time of listening to them!

Saturday was what I can only describe as eventful, we got caught up in the rain whilst queuing up (although as you can see from the top picture it brightened up considerably!), we got offered drugs when in the front pit, we had to argue our way back into the front pit because we weren't issued wristbands in the first place when they checked our bags and tickets, and we nearly got set alight by a flare...

You're probably thinking "oh my god why in the world would you say that it was a brilliant day", but you know what despite all the drama I've never had so much fun at a gig.

Me and Jodie met lots of different people, including two girls who we joined up with to get ourselves back into the front pit who were lovely and wished us to enjoy our evening- which we did!

During the gig we were somewhere in the middle facing the stage, and we attached ourselves to a group of northern guys who were actually really good fun. They weren't the usual creepy, pushy bunch you get at gigs where you just want to tell them to go away. Instead they looked after us throughout the gig, particularly when we nearly got set alight by a flare. I haven't felt so safe at a gig, normally I feel paranoid that someone's going to get into my bag and take things or some creep approaches me making me feel uncomfortable. It made the evening so much more relaxed and I let my hair down!

Miles Kane who I have been wanting to see for a couple of years now was just amazing, a really good front man with excellent lyrics and catchy melodies! With the other two support bands, Royal Blood and Tame Impala I hadn't listened to them properly before but they were surprisingly chilled and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

With Arctic Monkeys I knew they would be amazing, but I was blown away by how incredible they were. They're a band that never disappoint, maybe I'm biased due to my fondness of the very sexy drummer Matthew Helders! All of the band members play a key part in the band and just seeing them have fun together really is just lovely to watch, I couldn't see the whole performance due to jumping around but it didn't matter. Just hearing them live was such a delight.

To top off mine and Jodie's day, we got talking with another group of guys on the underground who we ended up singing with catching all the other passengers attention- it was rather funny!

Just simple things like making temporary friends with complete strangers is honestly just so fresh and different! It gives me hope that despite me being quite a shy person I can have good fun and be confident to talk to new people and have a good laugh with them, the same with the guys at the gig who chilled with me and Jodie. They didn't have to talk to us or anything, they could have been rude and ruined the gig for us- but they didn't. It put a smile on my face that despite all the bad going on in the world, there are still good people out there making a small difference to people's lives. Whether its making them feel safe or simply putting a smile on their face, it really does put a brighter perspective on life.

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy live music so much, its where I can just chill out and forget about everything. It really is wonderful to be able to do that from time to time, not only that its something to look forward to. I find that it helps booking things to look forward to whether it be a concert, holiday, day trip somewhere etc. It keeps you motivated to getting what you have to do beforehand such as work, exams and other goings on in life that can get quite intense.

I haven't much else to say other than I have a lot to look forward to for the rest of this year and I hope you guys have events coming up that you're looking forward to too!

As always, I hope you enjoyed this post and thank you for reading. 


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38