01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Movie Review: Pompeii 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Movie Review: Pompeii

34

A bit of a spur of the moment thing, I decided that me and my university friend Wendy should go to see the film Pompeii I mean its geographical right? All that volcano, plate tectonic stuff, no? Well we went to see it anyway and boy it did not disappoint!

Before I go into the review itself of the storyline etc, I just want to comment on the exquisite music. It really did get you in the gladiator mood, I've never really felt quite so involved with a film (other than humming along to the Harry Potter theme obviously). It just brought quite the atmosphere in the cinema, so yeah I don't know much about music but its definitely got a brilliant soundtrack!

Anyhow, set in 79 AD this heart thumping story of Milo a slave turned invincible gladiator finds himself in a race against time to save his true love Cassia, a daughter of a wealthy merchant who has been betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. As Mount Vesuvius erupts in a torrent of blazing lava, Milo fights his way out of the arena in order to save himself and Cassia as the once beautiful Pompeii crushes around him.

Now, as a geographer so to speak (hardly) I have heard of the tragic story of Pompeii beforehand and pretty much that the eruption of Vesuvius wiped out a civilisation, I don't really know much about the volcano itself so its safe to say I won't be giving you a geography lecture- so don't panic!


As a typical female when seeing the trailer to this film, Kit Harington walking out of the cell bare chested into the rain soaking wet definitely caught my attention! From being a fan of his character Jon Snow in the popular TV show Game of Thrones, the only comparison I can make is that this film takes away them annoying black pieces of clothing and replaces them with just enough to get you Kit fans heart's racing! Maybe I'm just talking on my behalf of this but anyway...

Milo's badass personality and bulging muscles (here I go again) definitely gets you rooting for him in the gladiator arena.

Like any disaster movie it has the element of hints that something bad is going to happen each time a character goes "see you soon", "all will be well", you just shake your head and think "nope you're wrong there. I feel its only predictable because I'd like to think the majority of the world population know the story of Pompeii anyway, but you can't help but scream inside your head as the volcano begins to erupt "RUN SOMEWHERE SAFE NOW". But obviously, no the characters have to get through obstacles and decide to go back to save the one's they love and you're just wanting them to hear you through the screen.

I liked the friendship between Milo and a fellow gladiator Atticus, together they perform in the gladiator arena and put on a good show making you want to cheer out loud!

IMDb gave this film a rating of 3 out of 5 star which I would probably agree, it would only get a 5 star rating from me if I got to see Kit Harington naked- wait what? Oh oops did I say that? Oh well haha. (but seriously who wouldn't want to see that?!).

All in all it was a decent film to watch, full of action and suspense. I recommend it to anyone who loves gladiator type films and disaster movies! :)


Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38