01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: December Wrap-Up 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

December Wrap-Up

34
Hello everyone! I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas, I don't know about you but I've definitely eaten half my body weight in chocolate and sausage rolls...not the best combination! Anyway here is my December wrap up! :-)



So December only two books were read...I know I've failed my challenge to read more than November! That challenge just went right out the window, I mean I can't remember much of December other than Christmas, ridiculous right? I swear it went by in a blink of an eye! I said last month that I was going to read Mimi by Lucy Ellmann as well this month and I gave the book ago but as of yet I haven't really got into it. I'll return to it at some point but I decided to replace it with We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler which I surprisingly enjoyed despite my mixed feelings towards it in the beginning. 


You can read my reviews of these books here:

- Little Women
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

Blogmas was rather a disaster this year, I think a goal of 2015 is definitely to be more organised with my blog posts and keep up to date! What I did do of Blogmas I enjoyed, next year I promise to be on it! :-)


I don't know about you guys but all that seemed to be on my Christmas list this year was books, and luck would have it I received a lovely lot of them!



Mansfield Park by Jane Austen- Taken from the poverty of her parents' home, Fanny Price is brought up with her rich cousins at Mansfield Park, acutely aware of her humble rank and with only her cousin Edmund as an ally. When Fanny's uncle is absent in Antigua, Mary Crawford and her brother Henry arrive in the neighbourhood, bringing with them London glamour and a reckless taste for flirtation. As her female cousins vie for Henry's attention, and even Edmund falls for Mary's dazzling charms, only Fanny remains doubtful about the Crawford's influence and finds herself more isolated than ever.  (Source: Goodreads)

The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger- Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned books lists. It begins, "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff, bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them." (Source: Goodreads)

A classic I've heard so much about and have high hopes of enjoying a lot!

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn- Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen year old brother behind bars. Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contracted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back? She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day...especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find. Who did massacre the Day family? (Source: Goodreads)

Even just reading this snippet I am itching to get my head stuck in this book, after reading Gone Girl I know Gillian Flynn cannot disappoint!

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory- This gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the "Kingmaker", Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters, Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. (Source: Goodreads)

You all know how much I love historical fiction, well this with comes a bit more of the real fifteenth century England. The Cousin's War series by Philippa Gregory is a series I need to begin in 2015! After watching the BBC's 'The White Queen' I instantly wanted to read Philippa's work. 

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (I don't want to read the synopsis for this books as I haven't started the series yet, but from what I've heard from friends this last installment is a brilliant one!)

So they are the books I got for Christmas this year, a very lucky girl I am indeed and I cannot wait to get round to reading them all :-)


Despite me only reading these two books this month I have just begun to read my first book of 2015, Killing Floor by Lee Child- the first book in his Jack Reacher series. The book has big print and so far I can't get enough of it so January is already looking promising!

Other books I have in mind for January are Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, Midnight in St Petersburg by Vanora Bennett, Animal Farm by George Orwell, and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare- the first installment of The Mortal Instruments series. I know I'm late to that party too! But I have all the books now, so I have no excuse not to complete the series this year! (Don't count on that one ahem).

So did you have a good Christmas? What books did you receive from Santa? What do you have planned in January? Tell me all about it in the comments I'd love to hear from you all!

Well that's all from me lovelies so cheerio and I'll be back soon! :-)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38