01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Top Ten Popular Books I Haven't Read 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Top Ten Popular Books I Haven't Read

34

Hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish

So this week is Freebie week on Top Ten Tuesday! Which means I can do a Top Ten anything, and so this week I have chosen to point out the popular books I haven't read, here we go!




Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell- Set in the southern United States in the state of Georgia during the American Civil War and the Reconstruction Era that followed the war. It depicts the experiences of Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to come out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea.

A classic I have indeed heard of and I have heard its a brilliant film to watch too although I haven't done either. It does however have over 1000 pages, this may take me a while if I do decide to give it a go!

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown- Harvard professor Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call while on business in Paris: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been brutally murdered inside the museum. Alongside the body, police have found a series of baffling codes. As Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, begin to sort through the bizarre riddles, they are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Leonardo Da Vinci- and suggests the answer to a mystery that stretches deep into the vaults of history. 

This book has been on a to-be-read list since forever, it just keeps getting to the bottom time after time. My Dad  highly rates this book but he does warn me it is quite hard going and not that easy to understand- perhaps another reason why I have put it off! 

Lord of The Flies by William Golding's story about a group of very ordinary small boys marooned on a coral island has become a modern classic. At 1st it seems as though its all going to be great fun; but the fun before long becomes furious and life on the island turns into a nightmare of panic and death. As ordinary standards of behaviour collapse, the whole world the boys know collapses with them- the world of cricket and homework and adventure stories and another world is revealed beneath, primitive and terrible. 

Another classic I need to read and so highly recommended, a book I was meant to read in school but like most school's you never get round to them all thanks to teacher's having time off and disruptive students- but many BookTuber's I watch tell me I need to read it. 

Life of Pi by Yann Martel- After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary life boat remains bobbling on the world, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orangutan...and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger.

A very different book to what I would normally read, so again I am undecided as to whether to give it a go or not. I've heard some great and not so great reviews on it, but it seems to be on loads of "popular reads" lists. 

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson- A murder mystery, family saga, love story, and a tale of financial intrigue wrapped into one satisfyingly complex and entertainingly atmospheric novel.  Harriet Vanger, scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families, disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pieced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption.

I recently got given this book by Amazon as a free Kindle book so there's not excuse for me not to read it, and again a book my Dad highly rates- but he doesn't rate the second book but the third equally as good as the first. 

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams- Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide and a galaxy full of fellow travelers. 

A novel I recognise but haven't really looked into, I'm not even sure I know anyone who has read it. But it keeps popping up on books to read before you die list! 

Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Etienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken- and Anna might be too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French Kiss she's waiting for?

I've read many reviews on this book, but one that springs to mind is Barry Pierce's on his YouTube channel which was rather amusing- as he pointed out some quite important flaws in the writing of this novel. It does however sound like a cute read, I'm not sure if I would give it a go or not without having Barry's voice in my head telling me to sort my life out haha.

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi- Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong colour. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe, Juliette is more than tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Another series set in the future that I really do want to read at some point, the only downfall is that they're simply hard to find in a book shop here and even online. Maybe its just me I'm not sure but all the one's I have found are second hand.

Room by Emma Donoghue-Jack is five, and excited about his birthday. He lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures eleven feet by eleven feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real- only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside...

I love different kind of books, unique and mysterious and this seems like that kind of book. I keep hearing about Emma Donoghue and she is notably a popular author, so if I read any of these books its definitely this one!

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt- It begins with a boy. Theo Decker, a thirteen year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his unbearable longing for his mother, he clings to one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art. As an adult, Theo moves silkily between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty labyrinth of an antiques store where he works. He is alienated and in love- and at the center of a narrowing, ever more dangerous circle. 

 A book I kept seeing in my local Waterstones but I never picked it up to have a read of the synopsis, again I'm not sure what to make of it- any opinions?

There we have it everyone here are my Top Ten Popular Books I Haven't Read, do you think I should definitely give these books a go? What are your opinions of them? I'd value your opinion before I think about purchasing! I hope you're having a lovely Tuesday :-)

Cheerio and I'll be back soon,


Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38