01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Stacking the Shelves- Week 1 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Stacking the Shelves- Week 1

34


Hosted by: Tynga's Reviews

My first 'Stacking the Shelves' post! I've wanted to join in with this meme for a while now and I love sharing what books I've discovered so be prepared for a mountain of books to be added to your to-be-read lists!


So these are a series of crime novels set in Ancient Rome, featuring Flavia Albia the adopted daughter of much-loved Marcus Didius Falco (a character from another book series by Lindsey Davis consisting of 20 books!). This series appeared so unique to me, I don't think I've ever read anything set in Ancient Rome. So I'm quite excited to read these, here's the synopsis for the first book 'The Ides of April'...

"Based on real historical events: mysterious poisonings, in which victims died, often unaware they had been attacked. Albia is now 28 and an established female investigator. Her personal history and her British birth enable her to view Roman society and its traditions as a bemused outsider and also as a woman struggling for independence in a man's world.
Taking place on the plebeian Aventine Hill, with its mix of monumental temples, muddy back lanes and horrible snack bars. Albia is, witty, has a winning personality who fearlessly tackles inhumanity and injustice, braving any risks and winning friendship of unexpected allies." (Source)



Anything set in Ireland holds my interest...a little biased yes but hear me out Nora Webster sounds like one of the best heroines and I can't wait to follow her on her journey of starting over...

"It is the late 1960s in Ireland. Nora Webster is living in a small town, looking after her four children, trying to rebuild her life after the death of her husband. She is fiercely intelligent, at times difficult and impatient, at times kind, but she is trapped by her circumstances, and waiting for any chance which will lift her beyond them.
Slowly, through the gift of music and the power of friendship, she finds a glimmer of hope and a way of staring again. As the dynamic of the family changes, she seems both fiercely self-possessed but also a figure of great moral ambiguity, making her one of the most memorable heroines in contemporary fiction." (Source)


I swear everything seems to be a series these days, I'm not gonna lie I love a good series! This one seems to stand out for me, and I'm not just talking about the fancy covers...here's the synopsis for the first novel 'The Burning Sky'

"Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation- or so she's been told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the most powerful tyrant and mage the world has ever known. This would be a suicide task for anyone, let alone a reluctant sixteen year old girl with no training.

Guided by his mother's visions and committed to avenging his family, Prince Titus has sworn to protect Iolanthe even as he prepares her for their battle with the Bane. But he makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the tyrant closing in, Titus must choose between his mission- and her life." (Source)


An author I keep hearing so much about and I've finally picked up one of her novels, definitely wasn't swayed because we share the same name...nope.

"Summer of 1876: San Francisco is in the fierce grip of a record-breaking heat wave and a smallpox epidemic, through the window of a railroad saloon, a young woman named Jenny Bonnet is shot dead.
The survivor, her friend Blanche Beunon, is a French burlesque dancer. Over the next three days, she will risk everything to bring Jenny's murderer to justice- if he doesn't track her down first. The story Blanche struggles to piece together is one of free-love bohemians, desperate paupers, and arrogant millionaires; of jealous men, icy women, and damaged children. It's the secret life of Jenny herself, a notorious character who breaks the law every morning by getting dressed: a charmer as slippery as the frogs she hunts." (Source)


My friend Noelia recently posted a book haul that featured Little Black Classics and I simply had to get my hands on some. Since I'm familiar with Dickens, Wilde and Austen, these seemed fitting
to buy! 
These short stories aren't worth me giving a synopsis otherwise I feel I'd give the whole plot away- but check them out!

So there we go lovelies, these are some of the books I've added to my to-be-read list recently and I hope they appeal to you too :-)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38