01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

34

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare ~Goodreads~
Published by Walker Books 2008
Paperback 411 pages ~The Book Depository~

*If you haven't read the first book then please don't ruin the experience for yourself by reading this review because of some spoilers :-)*


Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?


From where I left the first book City of Bones I honestly thought I wasn't going to enjoy the rest of this series much but boy, City of Ashes was amazing!

From finding out in the last book that Clary and Jace are brother and sister made me feel really disappointed, it literally felt like my ship for them had been crushed! But even in this second installment I still haven't made up my mind about it all, that sounds like me saying I agree with incest...I don't mean that it just seems such a shame that they're siblings! I feel like they're's something not strictly true about them being related, it sounds silly but I feel like Cassandra Clare is hiding something and in a way I hope I'm right. Clary and Jace make a great team and their humour bounces off of them.

The plot in general was exciting, I thought Jace was going to go back with Valentine and support him. All he wants is to feel like he belongs somewhere and I genuinely thought he was going to fall for Valentine's nonsense, it must be awful to have a parent that would give you up for anything. In which case Valentine would rather keep the Mortal Instruments than see that Jace is kept safe. 

Furthermore, the betrayal of the Lightwood's of Jace was rather upsetting too. They seemed blinded by the Inquisitor and were under her influence as some sort of dictator.

My only disappointment with this book is where Simon's throat was cut by Valentine I thought that he was dead dead, not come back to life if he gets some blood in his system. I felt that wasn't needed, if you're going to kill a character there shouldn't be a way to bring them back. I do love Simon as a character and the revelation of him being turned into a vampire was a bit of a shock to the system, I did find it clever how Cassandra Clare made Jace the one to save Simon I did think that was fitting. So despite me not liking this in the book I do love Simon and I'm glad he's sticking around!

Overall, I loved this book so much and its so action packed throughout I could hardly put it down. I'm really excited to see where this plans out, now that Valentine has disappeared yet again I'm intrigued to know what else he'll have up his sleeves!


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38