01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Open University: The Beginning 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Open University: The Beginning

34
Hiya everyone,

I hope you're all taking care of yourself! As some of you may know from earlier posts on this blog I left my first year of university due to not enjoying my course back in 2013/14, it wasn't a decision to be taken lightly. I felt as if I had failed my family and more importantly myself and it took me several months to accept that leaving university was the best decision, it allowed me to really give thought to what I wanted to do with my life. I carried on working at my supermarket job (which I still do now) throughout my year out and got extra hours here and there, I wouldn't say it was the best year of my life but it was definitely a time for really contemplating what I enjoy doing and what makes me happy, I had time to think about me for a change.

A year on and I'm about to embark on a new adventure and begin my degree again with the Open University (OU). I know a few people who have previously studied with the OU before and had nothing but praising for the organisation, and so back in November time 2014 I chose my modules and on October the 3rd my courses officially start.

I've decided to study two modules at once which may seem an awful lot of work but I have plenty of time on my hands and ideally I would like to finish my degree within 3 years. My first two modules are very different, one of them is Environment (so Geography based) and the other is a mixture of History (including Art & Music), English Literature, Religious Studies subjects. I'm not so much looking forward to the histories of art and music but like any course you're never going to enjoy all of it. Despite this I'm looking forward to having a variety of information and learn a new range of things I wouldn't have thought to have looked at before.

In the past month or so I have received my course materials through the post and I've taken a picture for each module and its materials below with more information of what I received:



(Module U116  Environment: journeys through a changing world- 6 textbooks, 1 module guide and 1 DVD)


(Module AA100 Arts Past and Present- 4 textbooks, 2 illustration books, 4 DVDs, 1 study companion and 1 assignment booklet)


(Set books I bought myself for module AA100)

Embarrassingly, I have begun to work through these materials to give myself a bit of a head start which I think will prove to me a great help in the coming weeks. Everything is very self explanatory and I'm already planning my TMA's (Tutor Marked Assessments) which is a little scary but awesome, because I feel like a student already...


  Furthermore, online I have my own tutor for each module who will be my first port of call if I should have any queries or any other support. So far my interaction with the OU has been positive, I mean a few months ago now they rang me to ensure I was prepared for my course and what it required of me. They were adamant that if I encounter any problems that they were there to help- a great relief and comfort to me. In addition to this, on Facebook and their own website there are chats and pages for each of my courses so I can interact with other students which I think is brilliant and so far everyone has been friendly and supportive.

I hope all of this positivity continues and I begin my course in a good way, I'm so ready and focussed on doing well these next three years. I know it won't always be easy and I will get stressed at times but deep down I know that I can do it, I am aiming for a career in publishing and I'm determined to get there someday.

I will write these entries every so often to update you all with how everything is going, I want to document these next three years for personal reflection also. 

If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to ask, I will try and answer them best I can. If you have an advice for me this will also be gratefully received too!

I hope you're all well and as always thank you for being such wonderful loyal readers, I appreciate you all a great deal.

Hugs and love,


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38