01 02 03 Emma's Bookery: Managing Anxiety \ My Personal Tips 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Managing Anxiety \ My Personal Tips

34


Hello lovelies, before I get on with this I just want to say how more confident I am in myself since the end of last year/beginning 2016, and in the space of a few months I've got to know knew people who have already had a significant effect on me. Since joining in with Twitter chats such as #bookbloggers, #TheGirlGang, and #mindsmatter all of which I'm incredibly thankful for they seem to do me a world of good!


Having to deal with anxiety isn't just a "moment" thing it's something you deal with every day, and it's certainly not to be glamorised or to draw in the wrong attention- you can feel quite vulnerable, isolated, out of place, and confused as to what you can do to make yourself feel better. 


With this post I want to give you some of my own personal advice on how I deal with my anxiety. It's not easy to talk about, but for once I feel confident and self-assured that what I say will hopefully help any of you who have to deal with anxiety too.




Whenever I'm having a blue day of things going wrong, worries taking over my mind and just feeling down I like to make myself a brew (my favourite being lemon tea and honey) and sit close to a window so I can look out and just take a moment for myself. People/bird watching is helpful, and wondering where someone else is going in the street or where that bird has been just gives you something else to focus on.

Taking long deep breaths for a good ten minutes can also do you a world of good- allow yourself to do it! 

A different sort of method I find to be very helpful is writing down the things that are making me feel anxious in the first place, and deciding whether they're as bad as I'm making them to be or are they easily sorted? It can be anything from having to wait for a bus, to handing in an important assignment you're not confident on. Writing it down and just organising it in your head can give you some reassurance, for example when I have a lot of university work I write down what I need to do and label them of importance. That way I know what to do first and last so I don't make myself panic, and this for me seems to work with just about anything- get yourself a cute notebook and pretty pens and commence!



A favourite of mine is picking up a good book, and whether it's fiction or nonfiction just taking time out to take your mind elsewhere can feel like an escape. The same with watching a film or TV programme (I like something that will make me laugh like The Big Bang Theory) and even listening to my favourite music can take my mind off what I was worrying about for a while- just snuggle down with a blanket and some munch and enjoy!

In the first picture I've shown a pocket-sized colouring book specifically for anxiety you can buy it here it's only £3.35 and the perfect size to carry around with you or keep in your desk, and in addition to colouring it has some inspiring quotations like this one:

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn"- Harriet Beecher Stowe

I think it's a great accessory to have in your handbag when you're on public transport, waiting at a job interview, whatever the situation it's always nice to have it as an option. 




One of the most important actions you can take is to surround yourself with positive thoughts and people, and they can be friends and family or even complete strangers. With the Twitter chats I take part in, I often feel I can confined a lot in a stranger than I can with people I know. Crazy perhaps, but a stranger has an outside perspective as they don't know you inside out upside down, and listening to others who share a lot in common with yourself can be of great comfort and telling them your thoughts and feelings can be a relief- don't be afraid of sharing with someone they could make you feel better!

Personally keeping my mind active is an important one, sitting around not really doing anything can drive me insane. Some people prefer to do exercise whereas I prefer to focus on educating myself with something knew, and ironically enough I've started a short course online with Futurelearn  called "Literature and Mental Health." Having something to put your energy into will not only provide you with something new but you get the benefit of feeling the results too whether it's gaining a certificate to put on your CV or improving your fitness.

My last personal tip is to treat yourself, for me it's a long soak in the bath while I watch The Vampire Diaries and picking out my favourite Lush bath bomb, and this chilling out mode does me a world of good. I particularly recommend a bath before bed to help you sleep (adding lavender oil is a good relaxant too!)- feeling clean and relaxed will help clear your mind and make you feel at ease. Looking after yourself should be a priority!

Other helpful tips are:

Well here are my personal tips for you to try out, I hope they can be of some use to you and those you know who suffer from anxiety too. 

Do you have any tips of your own that you'd like to share? Please do. We can all help each other feel a little bit better by sharing personal experiences and are own remedies, so don't hesitate- I'm here for you all.

Hugs and love,



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38